Wednesday 22 August 2012

Behind the curtain

I thought I would do a post today, showing some images of one of the workrooms I use!
I always find other peoples offices and work spaces fascinating. 
What inspires them?
 How do they use their surroundings to keep those creative ideas coming?
Because I design mostly 1940s and 1950s inspired fashion I look to many books and films, but I also try and dot items and images around my workplace to keep the inspiration coming.

I do all my own patternmaking but at times I also use vintage patterns from the forties and fifties to get the right vintage fit and learn more original techniques.

Just one of the many garments I need to get done for the shop! A classic pencil skirt ready to be cut out.

Just some of the patterns hanging up, these are so easy to get out of order! Though organisation is not one of my strong points..

Top stitching threads.

Some of our clothing. I design here with two others (we're all very close friends!) 
Here we place garments from last season, upcoming seasons or even if we've just run out of rack room in the shop.

I put up images in my area to keep me inspired! Here we have Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn and Jane Russell.

Here we have a few books for me to browse through of Marilyn Monroe (my absolute favourite) and I also try to use vintage buttons and other notions while I also use vintage rulers and stationary for my patternmaking!


4 comments:

  1. Love your blog, so I'm a new follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there. New reader here.
    I totally love your post. I agree that environment is essential while working, specially if you have a creative job. Besides, I always have found something bohemian and magical about "atelieres". Maybe because somehow they are like a farm of dreams, isn´t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for the comment! I absolutely agree, it's sometimes more fascinating seeing the process than the actual final product!

      xx

      Delete